My new personal challenge: try a vegan lifestyle for a month.
I’m going to be honest, I love BBQ, bacon, com thit nuong, steak and everything seafood. An omnivore life has been over all good to me. I love food, what can I say?
So recently, my brother has been on this new health kick. He’s been counting calories, grocery shopping and meal prepping. So of course, living together, you can’t help but join in on the “fun.” It also helps with motivation to follow the same path when he just keeps getting skinnier right before you’re eyes. He’s down 20+ pounds and it’s only been a month.
Then we recently went on a business related trip to California and we were surround by friends who are vegans or prefer vegan diets. I was totally inspired and shocked at the meals we were eating, totally 100% vegan, but they tasted so good! That was my first time to try fake shrimp, pork and chicken! It’s a shock to see how much they resembled and tasted like the meat they were impersonating. This encouraged me to try it. I mean, I’ve done pescatarian before and if vegan food can taste this good, then why not?
So to simply implement a healthier diet as well as appease my curiosity, I told myself to try it for a month. I know I can’t fully convert to vegan (I mean I’m from Texas, the land of cattle and Blue Bell Ice Cream), but I can try it for a month and see where it can potentially take me.
It’s August 1st, my first official day of a vegan lifestyle. So far, in preparation for the days to come, I have learned:
- Vegans not only omit milk & eggs from their diet, but honey is also added to that list of omition since bees (considered animals 🙄) essentially create honey.
- Honey is a natural sweetener, so it’s in pretty much everything!
- You get hungry more often and must constantly have a snack on hand.
- Whey protein is NOT a wheat product (I’m super embarrassed by this, all these years I thought whey was a derivative of wheat 🤦🏻♀️)
- Meal prepping is key & Trader Joe’s has a lot of healthy vegan friendly frozen foods that help the process.
- Not all fake meats are created equally, some are amazingly delicious and others are rather disgusting.
- Black bean pasta is never a good idea.
I’m excited to what becomes of this. Simply being vegetarian is already a challenge, but vegan is even harder. Eggs, honey and milk are basically in EVERYTHING!
Follow my food adventure on instagram! @SimplyTryingVegan